By: Angela Saavedra
Cecilia Abbott, first lady of Texas, made her first visit to El Paso April 14, as she presented awards to local business during the 2016 Governor’s Small Business Forum.
The first of 10 forums to be held in Texas this year, the conference was hosted by the El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, in partnership with the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and Tourism.
Business consultant Bill Mitchell made a presentation on ways business owners can better manage the generational differences found in today’s workforce. Read more about that in publisher Tom Fenton’s column on page 7A.
During lunch, Abbott presented six local businesses with State of Texas Small Business Awards.
- Woman-owned business – Southwest University, Yolanda Arriola, president
- Veteran-owned business – IDA Technologies, Von Washington, president
- Baby boomer-owned business – VEMAC, Oscar Venegas, president
- Generation Y-owned business – Mattress Firm, Dan Longoria, president
- Millennial-owned business – Lopez & Associates, Cynthia Lopez, president
- Rural business – LGA Trucking, Gabriel Subia.